Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Once Upon a Time

We're all living a fairy tale life. Unfortunately for most of us, it's still early in the story. We're not home with our true family, but stuck with the evil stepmom. Day after day we spend in rags, being abused left and right. Deep down we know something's not right, but we accept it because we've known nothing else.

We're all living a fairy tale life. The prince has already met us and fallen head over heels in love. One day -- maybe even today -- he'll show up on our doorstep with a promise of a better life: our "happily ever after". And the best part is the only marriage qualification we need is to believe him enough to extend our foot and let him slip on that glass shoe.

We're all living a fairy tale life, but somehow it became fractured. In some versions, Cinderella doesn't think there's a prince at the door, that the slipper won't fit, or worst of all, that the life the prince offers is not the life for her. For others -- myself included -- the shoe fits and the wedding bells have rung, but we've gone off course before our "happily ever after". This Cinderella turns down the beautiful clothes for the more familiar rags; she turns down the castle and wants the prince to move in with her step-family.

We're all living a fairy tale life, and even the youngest girl knows this isn't how it's supposed to end. Won't we listen to the prince calling out for us:

You brag, 'I'm rich, I've got it made, I need nothing from anyone,' oblivious that in fact you're a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless. -- Rev 3:17

Buy your clothes from me, clothes designed in Heaven. You've gone around half-naked long enough. -- Rev 3:18

Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I'll come right in and sit down to supper with you. -- Rev 3:20

You're done with that old life. It's like a filthy set of ill-fitting clothes you've stripped off and put in the fire. Now you're dressed in a new wardrobe. Every item of your new way of life is custom-made by the Creator, with his label on it. All the old fashions are now obsolete. -- Col 3:9-10

The Marriage of the Lamb has come; his Wife has made herself ready. She was given a bridal gown of bright and shining linen. -- Rev 19:8

I've loved you the way my Father has loved me. Make yourselves at home in my love. -- John 15:9

1 comment:

Jen said...

This is incredible! What a phenominal view. I loved that you included the scripture at the end -it really breathed life into the piece. It was a very bold creative move.